Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Is the Software Piracy situation really that bad?

We read about it all the time in the media. We read about software piracy rings getting busted and then the claims from the BSA or software companies of how many hundreds of millions of dollars were lost.

I'm not going to get into the whole "well they would never have purchased it anyway" argument.

I simply want to ask a question that begs to be asked. We hear the companies scream and cry murder when it comes to the losses they experience from file-sharing, software piracy, etc but does anyone ever pause for one second to a good look at those companies and sympathize with them?

What I'm trying to say is, I don't see many of these companies going bankrupt. What I do see are ever increasing budgets (ever see how much it costs to develop a blockbuster videogame). You'd be hard pressed to convince me of their pity when it's obvious their revenues and profits are still excellent, all in light of the hundreds of millions (if not billions) of dollars lost to pirated software/music/movies.

It's like listening to the guy driving a Ferrari cry about the amount of taxes he pays. Pass me my violin and lend me a handkerchief please.

I don't advocate software piracy but it does bother me the way the media portrays the problem to the public. Even worse is the way the courts treat these offenders, sentencing them to prison terms that would make a murder/rapist/drug dealer thank their lucky stars.

I don't advocate it, but I sure as hell don't sympathize with their pleas.

No comments: